Sunday, July 14, 2013

Vegan Organic Maple Cream Soda



That's right!  So delicious and refreshing, this is a year round crowd pleaser... 

2 Tbsp dark maple syrup (or whatever REAL maple syrup grade you have)
1 Tbsp coconut milk (or up to 3 Tbsp almond milk because it is thinner is texture)
Stir it together and pour over ice and add
6 oz of San Pellegrino (or any other Fluoride Free carbonated water)


I have never loved soda. I was not raised with soda in the house, it was reserved for holidays and special occasions.  We didn't frequent fast food restaurants and when at a restaurant, we all ordered water.  I don't actually care for soda.  Even in college in the South, when I had free access to unlimited soft drinks, I wasn't a big fan.  I had roommates that were ADDICTED to the popular fluorescent-green high caffeine one or that ever popular Doctor one. They were alright, but I could take them or leave them.   They had their purposes in mixed drinks, but that was about it.  When I did partake in a can of the bubbly liquid, I would often open it up and place it in the fridge to allow most of the carbonation to diffuse (much to the chagrin of my then boyfriend, now husband) before I would sip on it over a tall glass of ice, trying to cut the sweetness.  I had never had a diet version, as the smell of the artificial sweetener reminds me of poison. My spouse, however, was a true addict. In his mid twenties, he decided he no longer wanted to want to drink it, for many reasons.  He knew it wasn't good for him, he wanted to make healthier eating choices, and he was brewing beer.  Who drinks soda when they can drink homebrew?  He actively reduced his intake by replacing his red can of choice with seltzer water over a several year period of time. He still drank some sodas because of the taste and sugar rush and caffeine, but the seltzer helped curb the craving for the burn.  He loved the burn.  The tingle of that ice cold carbonation burning the back of his throat was just as addictive at the chemical caffeinated concoction inside the liquid.  

We began making soda when Hannah was about four years old.  She would see others with it and started asking for it.  Shoot!  What to do.  We did what I remember my parents doing to me.  We mixed plain seltzer water with juice and gave her a fancy cup with a straw. Sure... that's soda!  Orange Juice was her favorite!  But, honestly, it was such a rare treat, saved for gatherings with friends and family, that we didn't get very adventurous.  Until recently.  I make a mean lemonade, copied from a local organic pizza place that uses local maple syrup and fresh squeezed lemon juice.  We made it with seltzer water and voila, Lemon-(Lime) soda.  So we make these pretty regularly on homemade pizza night here (lately that's been a chia crust with hummus and roasted veggies), but we were out of lemons, limes, oranges, all citrus!  No lemon or lime juice left in the fridge, either.  Oh No!  Now I could have just given her maple sweetened seltzer water.  I mean, doesn't that sound good?  But I had coconut milk in the fridge!  So ...
I mixed this up!

2 Tbsp dark maple syrup (or whatever REAL maple syrup grade you have)
1 Tbsp coconut milk (or up to 3 Tbsp almond milk because it is thinner is texture)
Stir it together and pour over ice and add
6 oz of San Pellegrino (or any other Fluoride Free carbonated water)

For a list of fluoride free bottled or carbonated water go to...
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/salud/salud_fluor35.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment